Morning Time. In my imagination, those words conjure images of children cozily grouped on a couch (usually cream colored) with knitted blankets (also cream colored) in front of a fire while sipping hot chocolate (and managing not to spill any on all that cream color). The mother is seated in the middle of them (no one is jostling for position on the couch) and reading some wondrous tome to them, and they are listening with enraptured expressions.
And in slides reality. We are sitting on the wood floor because if we sit on the couch no one manages to sit. There is a lot of jumping and standing on heads and because everyone wants to sit in one particular seat, there is some arguing too. We do have a snack and sometimes a drink, usually with many instructions about leaving straws or cinnamon sticks inside of cups and please don't dip your snack into your drink because it drips on the floor and makes it sticky. Often, there is yelling and tears during what I want to be the best part of the day.
During the last two weeks I have done some praying specifically about our Morning Time. And it came to me that I wasn't setting up the expectations for my children. They were getting out of control, but had I ever told them what they were to do during this time? Maybe. I don't remember. Chances are pretty high if I don't remember, they definitely don't remember. Unless it is something crazy like a promise to go to Chuck E. Cheese. They need reminders. Often. I have started giving a longer reminder on Mondays and then brief ones throughout the week just of what is expected.
It is going better. There is definitely some training that needs done and some expectations that belong better in fairy tales (or Anne stories) than they do in real life. I am trying to slow down and just enjoy these small moments we have together each day!
No comments:
Post a Comment