Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Corn Chowder wtih Roasted Red Pepper

Sorry, this was supposed to publish yesterday morning, but I accidentally pushed the wrong button when writing it!
 
This is also from Soup! on page 58.  I forgot to mention the other night that one of the author's names is Pippa Cuthbert.  I would love to meet someone with a name like that!  Pippa sounds young and rather like the name of a fairy in a glen.  Cuthbert reminds me of Marilla and Matthew from Anne of Green Gables.  She must be interesting with names like that!

On to the soup!:



Serves six very hungry people

2 T olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 potatoes, diced
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 red pepper, diced
 1/4 t chili flakes
2 1/4 c chicken stock
2 x 10 fl oz cans creamed sweet corn
1/2 c fresh or frozen sweet corn kernels
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper

To garnish:
1 long red chili pepper, halved and cored
1 red pepper, halved and cored
3 t olive oil
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepper

Preheat the oven to 400.  Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onions and saute for about 10 minutes until golden.  Add potatoes, celery, red pepper, and chili flakes.  Stir for a minute, then add stock, and all the corn.  Simmer for about 20 minutes until potatoes are done.  Season with salt and pepper

Meanwhile, place chili pepper and halved red pepper in a small baking dish and toss with 1 t olive oild.  Roast for 20 minuets, or until the peppers begin to char.  Put the peppers with their juices in a blender and the remaining olive oil, season, and puree.

Put a spoonful of the puree on top of the soup in each dish and serve.

Now, much to your surprise I'm sure, I did it a little different.  I didn't use the onion, celery (because celery is evil in soup), chili flakes, or anything for garnish.  I was trying to get the girls to eat it for crying out loud!  I put some chili powder in instead of the flakes, but I didn't even really notice it.  I think this would be a good summer soup when you can get your corn right off the cob.  I used some that we froze, but I think it would be fun to make fresh.  This was good, but it is not one that I will make every other week.  It has a nice, sweet flavor if you make it like I did, and I really did like it, but neither of the girls did.

Now, an example of why you should obey your mother:

  
                                      

This is what happens if you choose to jump on your bed and stay up all nap time, even when you mom makes 20 trips to your room to try to settle you down.  You fall asleep on the couch and can't watch Mario being played.  Normally, I would have just put Pnut in my room, and they would have both fallen right to sleep.  However, Joel was taking a nap in our room so I couldn't put her in there, and they both went to bed early!:)

No comments: