Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Birthday Backpack

This year my nephew Anthony
is all about pirates.  He received pirate bedding and a map and flag and a sign warning all but pirates to keep out of his room or they'd be walking the plank!  Aargh!  In keeping with the pirate spirit, I wanted to make him a backpack using this tutorial. I was pleased with the way it turned out!

I think he was too.  Especially since we went to their house today, and it was fully of stuff!
I had a little trouble with the tutorial, but I'm not sure if that was bad math on my part (*cough, cough* most likely) or if there were mistakes in determining how much fabric she used.  I managed to improvise and it all worked out.

I also made him a map that he can do himself.  I burned the edges of a piece of linen and then tea stained it.  This is before it was stained:

Joel wasn't sure what was going on, he just knew something was burning somewhere!  In the end, it turned out quite neat, even if not as dark as I would have liked.  Randa is going to buy a fabric marker and let him do it. 

No comments: