Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Grasshopper Pie

This is also from Martha Stewart's Pies and Tarts book.  While it was good, there are some changes I would make if I made it again.  More about that later!
Crust:
6 T unsalted butter, melted
3/4 c sweetened shredded coconut
1.5 c crushed chocolate wafer cookies (I used chocolate animal crackers)
1/4 c sugar

Filling
1.5 c milk
1 c loosely packed fresh mint leaves
1 c cold heavy cream
3 T creme de menthe
2.25 t (or one packet) unflavored, powdered gelatin
5 egg yolks
1/2 c sugar

Topping
Whipped cream
Chocolate shavings

Make crust:  Preheat oven to 350.  Butter pie pan.  Combine crust ingredients and press into pie plate.  Cook for 10-12 minutes.  Cool completely.

Filling:  Prepare an ice-water bath and set aside.  In saucepan, bring milk and mint just to a boil.  Remove from heat, cover, and let steep for 15 minutes.  Strain out mint leaves and set milk aside.  Beat cream until stiff peaks form, refrigerate until time to use.  In double boiler, put creme de menthe and gelatin and let sit for 5 minutes to soften.  In a separate bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar.  Add minted milk to gelatin, stirring to combine well.  Set over simmering water.  Cook, stirring constantly, until gelatin is dissolved, maybe a minute.  Whisking constantly, pour milk mix slowly over eggs.  Go slow as to not cook the eggs.  Once combined, put back in top of double boiler and cook for about 8-10 minutes until candy thermometer gets to 150.  Transfer to ice-water bath and continue whisking until mixture thickens to about pudding texture, about 2 minutes.  (Mine never got that thick).  Whisk in 1/3 of the beaten cream.  Then fold the rest of the cream in gently and pour all into pie crust.  Refrigerate at least 6 hours.  When serving, top with more fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

Thoughts:  This was good, it was just really, really sweet.  I also did not care for the coconut in the crust that much, and I like coconut.  It didn't hold together well.  I think a classic chocolate cookie crust would be better.  The filling is really good because it has a real mint flavor, spearmint that is.  Just start with a small piece:)

No comments: