Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Three Recipes!

It has been a while since I have really posted recipes!  I cooked lunch for my mom and Randa today, which was fun because they took care of the baby while I did it.  That is my main frustration with cooking right now...usually he starts crying when I am halfway through!  So anyways, here are the recipes:

Garlic Roast Chicken with Rosemary and Lemon from Classic 30-Minute Meals on page 116

1.5-2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into large chunks
4 cloves garlic, crushed
4 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and chopped
3 T EVOO
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper
1/2 c chicken broth

Preheat oven to 450.  Chop chicken and spread evenly through pan.  Add garlic, rosemary, EVOO, and salt and pepper.  Stir to distribute evenly in pan.  Cook for 20 minutes.  Add broth and lemon juice.  Let stand in oven, which you have turned off, for 5 more minutes. 

I got these other 2 recipes from Tasty Kitchen.  That is a great resource!

Mixed Green Salad with Fresh Raspberry Vinaigrette, Feta, and Pecans
3 T red wine vinegar
2 T honey
1 T Dijon mustard
1/3 c canola oil
1/8 t pepper
1/8 t salt
1/2 c fresh raspberries, rinsed
1/4 c pecan
3 c mixed salad greens
2 slices red onion, separated into rings
1/4 c fresh raspberries, rinsed
1/4 c Feta cheese

Make dressing:  In blender, combine honey, mustard, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper and blend to combine.  Add 1/2 c raspberries until pureed.  Pour into serving jar.
Toast nuts:  Place pecans into saute pan and cook over medium heat until fragrant, tossing occasionally.
Put salad together.  Use the rest of the raspberries in the salad. 

*I didn't toast the nuts.  I think they would be good candied!  Isn't this a pretty salad?

Caramel Apple Crostata

Crust:
2 c flour
2 T sugar
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
3/4 c cold cubed butter
1 egg
5 T ice cold water

In food processor, pulse first 4 ingredients.  Add butter and pulse until combined.  Add egg and pulse until mixed in.  Add water 1 T at a time until crumbly/clumpy.  Can use more water if necessary, I only had to use 4 T.  Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead until formed into a ball.  Form a disk and wrap in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for 1/2 hour.

Filling:
5 whole apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 t cinnamon
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
10 pieces caramel candy, cut into 4 pieces each
milk for brushing crust

Place apples in a bowl and mix in everything else but the milk.  Make sure everything gets distributed evenly over the apples.  Roll out dough into 9-10 inch disk on floured surface.  Place dough on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.  Pile apple mix in center of dough.  Fold dough over the apples about 2 inches in...it shouldn't meet in the middle.  Pinch the folds of dough together to seal.  Brush exposed dough with milk.  Bake in 425 oven for 25-30 minutes.  Awesome with ice cream!

We loved this.  My mom thought it was better than apple pie.  The crust was so flaky and yummy!

1 comment:

Kacy said...

I know there is some in a box on its way to south carolina right!!!! they make dry ice..