We have had a busy two days as yesterday I was cleaning for my mom and today we got school done and went to co-op. I taught my second preschool class, and it went well. I just need to find something that is going to fill up the time a little more. I read them three books and we did a craft, but I think next week I will also add in a coloring page to stretch out the time. Apparently, a few of them really like to color, and that will help. They are in the same room for three hours, which quite a long time when you are 3 or 4, especially since they aren't really getting outside to play and burn energy. I have two more ideas, but one of them is only a baby idea; I need to flesh it out more. I want to do something for Valentine's Day next week as we won't meet the next week. I'm trying to think of some different crafts for them to make, maybe cards for their parents. I saw some cute little birds to make, but they might be too advanced. We'll see.
So it is coming up, sort of, on the CHAP convention. That is the local homeschool convention where all the vendors come and bring their curriculum and speakers come to give talks. I am so excited! I do love curriculum, but I try to do all my research ahead of time so I don't buy anything that I don't really want. I am currently looking into Singapore math. We are using RightStart Math, which I love, but it only has 5 levels plus a geometry level so it won't get us the whole way through. I am hoping they are working on higher levels, but I don't know. They are both based on the ways math is done in much of Asia, where they have much higher math scores. They value comprehension over quantity of work. I'm planning to stick with our reading program for next year as Pnut does seem to be enjoying. I will most likely be borrowing my sister's history program for first grade, which I believe we will like as it seems to be mostly set up in story form. For science, I think we are going to take a Charlotte Mason approach. I am still learning about curriculum based on her methods, but I am very excited about the things I am reading.
I also turned in my papers today regarding teaching next year. I am going to be teaching both semesters, one in the preschool and one with Pnut's first grade class. We are going to do an enrichment class called A Bug's Life as long as it is approved.
I am just so thankful that we can homeschool! I love having our children here and teaching them and seeing them learn and comprehend. I don't know what I would do if Pnut had to be away 8 hours a day!
No comments:
Post a Comment