Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2009

I Hate Cigarettes

*I hate cigarettes. If you are going to be offended by that, you had better stop reading and come back tomorrow!*

The reason I am thinking about cigarettes is because I can smell them right now as I sit at my computer trying to work in our smoke-free house. It is not that the previous owner smoker. It is that the people who live next door do (we live in the end house of a row). The smoke is coming through the vent on the floor. I know that it is not from a previous owner because the smell is strongest at night when all three adults are home. I shouldn't have to smell that. I am choosing, wisely I might add, to not poison my lungs with those things. I don't want my children getting sick from that evil junk! While I do believe that people can make their own choice about whether they want to do it or not, I don't believe that they have the right to poison the body of anyone else. It bothers me to know that there are two young children in that house. If I can smell it that strong, what is it doing to the little kids? Poor Pnut has gotten so many lectures about cigarettes, and she is only 2. Every time she sees someone smoking and asks me what they are doing, I give her a very long speech about how terrible they are and bad for your body and how when those people get old, they are going to have all sorts of lung problems and not be able to breathe right. I think anyone that my age that smokes is an idiot. We know the hazards of it. It certainly doesn't make you look cool. Stink, yes. Look cool, no. I am typing for a pulmonology group now, and I can't tell you how many of the people that come in with COPD and other severe lung problems smoked. And some of them still won't quit. I read that nicotine is one of the most addicting drugs there is. Don't start, people. Nothing good comes of it!

Alright, I am off my rant. I am, however, going to have to leave the room now because I have a headache from the smell. I do have an strong sense of smell. It probably wouldn't bother Joel quite as much to sit here, but he can smell it too. I hope everyone is having a less smelly night!

1 comment:

Randa said...

We had a lady come in that had COPD and had to start using oxygen. She died within 72 hours. LUNG DISEASE IS BAD.