Pages

Friday, January 9, 2009

Cocoa Creme Thumbprint Cookies

We made a new cookie today. The recipe was on the back of the Hot Cocoa Creme Hershey Kisses bag. It looked yummy and we happened to have all of the ingredients.

1/2 cup butter, softened (I melted ours)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
2 T milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
Some more granulated sugar
Powdered sugar
Hot Cocoa Hershey Kisses
1/2 cup marshmallow creme

1. Beat butter and 2/3 cup granulated sugar until well blended. Beat in egg yolk, milk, and vanilla. Stir together flour, coca, and salt, gradually add to other mixture, beating until blended. Refrigerate for one hour until stiff enough to handle.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Shape dough into 1-inch balls, roll in granulated sugar. Place on cookie tray and press thumb gently in center of each cookie.
3. Bake 8-10 minutes or just until cookie is set. Cool slightly and remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Dust cookies with powdered sugar.
4. Remove wrappers from Kisses. Spray inside of Ziploc sandwich bag with cooking spray. Spoon marshmallow into bag, seal, and cut off corner about 1/4 inch from point. Pipe slightly more than 1/2 tsp into each thumbprint indentation. Gently press chocolate in center of each cookie.



The first job for Pnut was unwrap the Kisses. She only ate one, and that was with my permission because she held it too long and it melted.



She likes to "stirf" the flour mixture with the whisk. She is getting good at keeping it in the bowl.



Here is the mixture right before it went in the fridge. It looked basically the same when it came out, just hard.



You can't mess around with the balls. When they start to get warm from rolling in your hands, they turn into a sticky mess. Because of this, Pnut had to get down and not help with this part!



Here are ours finished. I tried several things. First, I just put the Kisses in the center without the marshmallow. I was thinking it would turn out more like a Peanut Butter Blossom. I was wrong. Since these are Hot Cocoa kisses, they have an already melty center. They melted a lot and didn't solidify again very well. Second, I tried it with the marshmallow. Unfortunately, our marshmallow expired last March. I imagine that if your marshmallow is ok and not hard as a rock, this would go better. I melted it in the microwave, but it still wasn't like coming straight out of a jar and being fluffy. Third, I didn't put anything in them. These are all good. It's chocolate on chocolate, which is always good. I think I put a little more salt than called for in it. Sometimes, I don't like to measure things. But I liked the contrast of salty and sweet. We probably won't make them again unless we have another bag of the Kisses with the recipe. It is not one that I will crave, but it is yummy for this one time!

After that experience, we went up to the girls room to play.



Who knows what this troublemaker was doing?! Once she saw the camera come out, she ran around the room like a maniac.



Pretending to be calm. Before this, she had stripped her blankets and animals and pillow off of her bed and was jumping on it and off onto the floor.



One last goofy picutre of this baby. How can you resist that face?

No comments: