Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

BLT Pasta Salad

12 ounces corkscrew pasta
1/2 c milk
12 oz lean bacon
3 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 T chopped fresh thyme (I omitted)
1 clove garlic, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground peppers
1/2 c mayo
1/4 c sour cream
4 T chopped chives or scallion greens (I omitted)
5 heads Bibb lettuce, quartered, or 5 c chopped romaine hearts
1. Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water as the label directs. Drain and toss with the milk in a large bowl; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 3 T drippings from the pan. Add the tomateos, thyme, and garlic to the pan and toss until warmed through, season with salt and pepper. Crumble the bacon into bite-size pieces; set aside 1/4 for garnish.
3. Mix the mayo, sour cream, and 3 T chives with the pasta until evenly combined. Season with salt and pepper. Add the lettuce; toss again to coat. Garnish with the reserved bacon and the remaining 1 T chives. Serve at room temp.

Notes: If I make this again, I would probably put the garlic in the pan before the tomatoes because it had a bit of a bite to it. I didn't want to let the tomatoes in too long, but the garlic was quite strong. I don't know how people eat raw garlic!! I also placed the lettuce in the bowls individually. There were plenty of leftovers, so I didn't want the lettuce to get yucky mixed in with the other stuff. This dish was also very good served cold out of the fridge!

This meal, the sausage and vegetable stew, and the chocolate pots de creme all came from the Food Network magazine. The Salsa soup was from Rachael Ray's 365: No Repeats and the Carbonara was from her Classic 30 minute meals cookbook. The cheese biscuits were from Paula Deen's Lady and Son's Cookbook. I really enjoyed trying out these recipes, and I hope you all can try some of them as well. I learned that, as much as I love Paula Deen, I probably cook more like Rachael Ray. I think I like cooking better than baking. You can play with it a little more and it is easier to personalize.

Tonight, I used the rest of the kielbasi on the grill, which Pnut liked quite a bit. She thought it tasted like a hot dog. It was still a little greasy for me. It was fine in the stew, I didn't notice the grease then, but my great-grandmother used to fry it, and just thinking about it almost makes me sick to my stomach! With that, I tried Pioneer Woman's Potato Bundles (slightly modified of course), and they were awesome!!! After supper, the girls got to split an ice cream sandwich.



That made them happy.



Very happy!

No comments: