Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Salsa Stoup and Two Cheese Quesadillas

This dish was the surprise. When I was cutting up all of the ingredients, I kind of doubted that I was going to like it, and then we ate it! Wow, wow, wow! I took out some the ingredients listed to just include the ones I like. I also only used two tortillas for each quesadilla. I just mixed the cheese together.

2 T vegetable oil (or EVOO), plus more for brushing tortillas
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (I omitted)
1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped with greens (I omitted)
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 28-ounce can stewed tomatoes
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 c vegetable or chicken stock or broth
3 T chopped fresh cilantro (I omitted)
6 6-8 inch flour tortillas
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
3 scallions, chopped (I omitted)
1 c shredded Pepper Jack (I used Colby Jack)
Sour cream, for garnish

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil and the jalapenos, bell peppers, onions, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, then saute the veggies for five minutes. Add all the tomatoes and stock and brin to a bubble. Reduce the heat to a simmer and stir in the cilantro.
3. Pain one side of two tortillas with oil and place them oiled side down, on a large cookie sheet. Mix the cheddar with the scallions and divide between the tortillas evenly. Top with anotehr tortilla and top each of those with equal amounts of Pepper Jack cheese. Set the last tortillas on top and brush the tops with oil. Bake the quesadillas for 10 minutes, the cool for five minutes to set. cut each into six wedges.
4. Serve each bowl of stoup with three wedges of quesadilla alongside and sour cream for either.

My MIL loved this stuff! It was really good:)

Pnut got her birthday gift from my sister Randa this weekend, and she was very excited about it. However, when I load the picture on the computer, it turns out very dark so I can't show you...I will have to take another one the next time she wears it. I did get a picture of her cute monkey barrettes.



And here is another monkey...



Randa gave Pnut a really cute pair of sunglasses, which she just loved. Today, she was up from her nap and I was still working, and she apparently had gotten a marker out of the basket. A permanent marker. She colored all over the lenses of her glasses. I couldn't believe she did that! She was so proud! Of course, she didn't know it was permanent, but still, she should know better than to color on anything but a coloring book!! I looked up online what to do, and it said toothpaste would take permanent marker off of plastic so I tried that and was able to get all but one or two little smudges off. Wow! I don't know what I would do without the internet!!

1 comment:

Randa said...

permanent marker also comes off with Dry erase cleaner most of the time.
Glad she likes them but maybe they were just too plain!