Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Stew and Potatoes






Beef Stew with Mushrooms from The Pioneer Woman

1 lb beef stew meate
1 T flour
1/8 c butter (2 T)
1 T olive oil
1 whole shallot, minced
1.5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 lb cremini or white button mushrooms
1/4 c red wine
1/4 can beef consomme
salt and pepper to taste
1 sprig thyme
1 T flour

Coat meat in flour.  Melt butter and olive oil in heavy pot.  Sear meat over high heat in batches, remove to plate when brown.
Add shallot and garlic to pan.  Saute 2 minutes over medium-low heat.  Add mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.  Pour in wine and consomme (and extra half can water).  Add salt and pper to taste.  Bring to boil, then add meat back in.  Reduce to low and add thyme.
Cover and simmer for at least 45 minutes.  After that, thicken with 1 T flour with water and pour into stew.  Allow to cook and thicken for at least 10 minutes.  Turn off heat and allow stew to sit for 15-20 minutes.

NOTES:  I didn't use wine.  We don't drink and I did not want to get some just for this.  I also couldn't find beef consomme so I used canned beef broth and used the entire can.  I had read the notes people made about this recipe, and they said it could use more liquid.  I also added about a can of water.  I didn't have thyme so I put in dried rosemary instead.  I think mine actually simmered for about an hour before I added the flour mix in.  The longer you simmer, the more tender it is. 

Creamy Mashed Potatoes by The Pioneer Woman

2.5 lb potatoes
3/8 c butter (6 T), softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 c half and half
1/4 t seasoning salt
1/4 t pepper

Peel, chop, and boil potatoes until cooked through.  Drain and put back in pot.  Mash over low heat.  Add all other ingredients and mash more.
Stir well and place in baking dish.  Put a few pats of butter over the top and place in 350 degree oven and heat until warmed through. 
If making ahead, pull out of fridge 203 hours before serving.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes until cooked through.

NOTES:  I don't know if I can return to regular mashed potatoes after this.  Pretty much perfect.  Pilly loves them too!

Both of these dishes went over quite well at Cooking Club:)  They are lovely comfort foods and just right for fall!  The problem is not eating too much of them!  I'll post the dessert and drink Monday:)

In the previous post, the difference is that Pnut got a haircut!  I went to the grocery store the other night and Joel cut her hair.  We knew it needed it done, I just didn't want to do it myself.  I think it looks really cute and healthy now!

No comments: