Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Almost Famous Breadsticks



These are from Food Network Magazine and are a replica of Olive Garden breadsticks. They are good. Jackie made them yesterday so I had to try them today because I liked them so much!

For the dough:
1 package active dry yeast (2.25 teaspoons)
4.5 cups all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
2 Tablespoons butter, softened
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon fine salt

For the topping:
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8-1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of dried oregano

1. Make the dough: Place 1/4 cup warm water in the bowl of a mixer; sprinkle in the yeast and set aside until foamy, about five minutes. Add the flour, butter, sugar, fine salt, and 1.25 cups plus 2 tablespoons warm water, mix with the paddle attachment until a slightly sticky dough forms, 5 minutes.
2. Knead the dough by hand on a floured surface until very smooth and soft, three minutes. Roll into a two-foot-long log, cut into 16 1.5 inch-long pieces. Knead each piece slightly and shape into a 7-inch-long breadstick; arrange two inches apart on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with a cloth; let rise in a warm spot until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Make the topping: Brush the breadsticks with 1.5 tablespoons of the butter and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Bake until lightly golden, about 15 minutes. meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt with the garlic powder and oregano. Brush the warm breadsticks wiht the remaining 1/5 tablespoons melted butter and sprinkle with the flavored salt.

I just have a terrible time with yeast. I really do. I tried three times to get my yeast to be active. Not happening. So I just made them anyway, and they did rise in the 45 minutes they rested. Next time, I am not going to look at the yeast or talk so it doesn't know that it is me trying to get it to work. How could it not work three times?!

I divided my dough in half and put half in the freezer. However, because I like to use my brain a lot, I put it in before I let the dough rise so I think that I might have killed the yeast and won't be able to use it. Jackie, help me out here...did I kill it?

Alright, well The Office is on so I have to go!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey! I don't think the yeast will die in the freezer. I buy frozen bread dough all the time and rises perfectly! Let me know how it works out for you! I always bake the entire batch and freeze them pre baked. When it is time to eat I pull them out of the freezer, toast them, and brush the butter mixture over. We can't tell a difference! It is a GREAT recipe! Everyone should try it!
PS- if you really want to see your yeast go crazy, put a pinch of sugar in the warm water with the yeast! Just make sure you have it in a big bowl.